Thursday, November 06, 2008

One Word: WHEW!

Still hung over from Tuesday's victory for progressive thought? (Well except in Alaska, Minnesota's 6th district, possibly Minnesota senate, California's Prop 8, etc.)

Say hello to President Obama... Fuck that's got a nice ring to it doesn't it?

I'm not going to be calling him President-Elect Obama either, #1 it's too much of a mouthful, and #2 I want to turn the page on Dubya as soon as possible.

Some random thoughts from Election night.

#1 it was kind of surreal pretty much knowing for like an hour that Obama was going to be the winner but still not being %100 sure just because I was so paranoid from stolen elections in 2000/04.

#2 I knew John McCain had no chance in PA, I called PA months ago and I stuck to it. I just wish I had done it publically...

#3 When Ohio went that was the ballgame, it was all over except waiting for the West to close.

#4 I watched the election on MSNBC for the first time ever, I've always watched elections on CNN, and honestly I regretted my decision. I like MSNBC but CNN is still the best in terms of being on the cutting edge, like the freakin holograms!

#5 CNN seemed to take a lot longer to call races than other news outlets, except for declaring Obama elected. For a lot of major states CNN called way after MSNBC and Fox, but I like it this way. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

#6 When the call was made I can't really describe the emotion. It was sort of a mix of joy and elation and relief that our 8 year long nightmare would soon be over. Also it was a sense of pride that the most powerful nation in the world moved past their racist ties.

#7 After Obama had been declared the winner I was happy to see John McCain win Arizona. No need to embarrass a man who served his country honorably in uniform.

#8 I thought McCain's concession speech, though marred by idiots in his crowd, was very good.

#9 I liked Obama's speech, but he's done better. His Yes we Can speech the night of the New Hampshire primary and his Convention speech were better, but still this was a good one. A bad Obama speech is still tons better than a good Dubya one. He really got me with the talking about the 106 year old woman though, made me wonder what I'd see if I were to live that long (Which I know for a fact ain't happening)

#10 THANK GOD Sarah Palin won't be Vice President.

2 comments:

penlan said...

Actually I thought Obama's speech wasn't all that bad. Gone was all the hype & there was a definite seriousness & a somewhat heaviness to it - like I could see the burden of being President already settling on his shoulders & in his eyes & on his face. He already looked older.

As far as McCain's speech went I don't trust a thing the man says/said. The general concensus that his speech was "gracious" etc. did not sit with me in that way. He's just saying what he said to sound good in the eyes of the people. Covering his butt so to speak. After all he still works in govt. & has his Senate seat & as always wants to go back to "playing" the maverick. I have zero respect for him.

Monkey Loves to Fight said...

I have to agree here with much of what you said. I don't think McCain ever had a chance at winning Pennsylvania, he just kept campaigning there to make it seem like he had a chance at winning so his supporters would show up. Had they not showed up, the Democrats would have reached the filibuster proof 60 seats and more congressional seats.

I agree McCain's speech was a gracious one, but the crowd he plenty of idiots. Even though I think his views are dead wrong, he seems more decent as a person that most others in his party.

Obama's speech I think was a very good one and even if not his best, I think it was straight from his heart. I think he also probably put it together on election day, although considering how quickly it was done after the networks calling it for him I doubt he put together only at 11:00 EST.

And yes, thankfully Sarah Palin won't be a heartbeat away from being president. She can go back to being governor of Alaska which is largely irrelevant to Canada. Unfortunately it appears Ted Stevens was re-elected there. I wonder what it takes for these guys to defeat a Republican.