Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Scoreboard

Here are the results of my wish list and my reaction.

Expected
- I hope we hold the Conservatives to at least a Minority.

Check. Although I must admit I was scared there for a moment. I'll be talking more about this later, but I hope all of the people who vote split realize just how close we came to a disaster tonight. Right now the Conservatives are at 143, that's 12 seats away from destroying Canada. As much as I hate the NDP and the Greens we need to do something, we need to work this out somehow some way, because if we don't we're going to have a permanent Conservative government. And that's not just on the other side, people like me need to make sacrifices too, and I admit that.

- I hope Mike Savage wins my home riding (I live in Halifax now, but Dartmouth will always be my home)

Check, once again this one was close for a while but in the end he pulled away nicely. Thank God my home didn't go to the Orange Menace, although the riding I currently live in did. But Dartmouth will always be my home.

- I hope Siobhan Coady wins St. John's South-Mount Pearl.

Check, and I'm VERY happy to see her in, I first heard about her last election when CPAC did a profile of her riding and I was very impressed. I'm glad to see we'll have another strong Liberal voice in Parliament.

- I hope the Conservatives get shut out in Newfoundland.

Check, I never thought I'd be happy about anything Danny Williams did, but I am happy tonight, especially since those 3 seats coupled with a few shifts here and there could have meant disaster.

- I hope the Conservatives lose seats in Quebec.

Right now it's not clear whether they will or not, it's looking like I hold, but at least they didn't make huge inroads. The Bloc saved Canada tonight.

- I hope the Greens don't win a seat.

Check, This one was never really in doubt, but the scary thing is if their leader wasn't such an airhead and ran in a good Green seat she may well have won and that would have spelled disaster for the left vote in Canada. Unless we can come to some sort of agreement we're going to fall in to the same trap the Right was in for a long time.

Toss-Up
- I hope that like the last election we do better in Ontario than expected.

Epic Fail, not only did we not do better we got blown away in Ontario. I guess a new cloak and forcing his MPs to keep quiet foold Ontarians.

- I hope we see some Conservative cabinet ministers go down in flames tonight.

Can I count Michael Fortier? :D

- I hope the Greens don't finish any better than 2nd anywhere.

I meant to say I hope they don't finish at 2nd, but I forgot about Elizabeth May, so I'm happy that they didn't finish 2nd anywhere else, or so it seems at the moment.

Long Shot
- I hope we win Government.

As Maxwell Smart would say: Missed it by that much.

- I hope the Liberals can somehow overcome the Orange wave of ignorance in Halifax and elect Catherine Meade. It sucks living in a freakin Orange cesspool. (P.S. just so you're clear dippers, a vote for the NDP is a vote for a 2nd Stephen Harper term, don't delude yourself in to thinking otherwise.)

Not even Close. Sigh, maybe one day...

- I hope the Greens don't win enough votes to get federal funding. (I'm not normally Conservative on taxes, but why the Hell should my tax dollars go to support ANY political party? Particularly ones I wouldn't support if my life depended on it.)

They blew that out of the water, they're still a fringe party. They got their precious leader in the debate and didn't even win a single seat. That's the definition of Fringe Party.

- I hope the number of NDP MPs goes down.

Egh.... I hate the NDP, almost as much as I hate Conservatives.

- I hope Olivia Chow loses.

Nope.

- I Hope Gerard Kennedy wins, we're going to need someone as a viable alternative to Iggy and Rae.

Check, and this right here might have saved the Liberal party. Now I'll have someone to support who I won't be forced to hold my nose for. I hope we get some old Chretien people to run too, I'd have a hard time deciding between Brian Tobin and Gerard Kennedy.

So, all in all, a bad night for Canada, a bad night for progress, but not as bad as it could have been. We've got a lot of rebuilding to do.

2 comments:

Roland said...

What is with all your hate! No wonder your liberal party has so many problems. Win at all costs; what ever happened to the compassionate, understanding and inclusive party lines you use. Maybe you shoald get a dictionary and look up these words and actually live by their definitions. Maybe then you might have a hope as a party.

Jason Hickman said...

The Bloc saved Canada tonight.

Read that back to yourself a few times and see if it makes sense.

The BQ may have denied Harper a majority. But this was the first positive shot-in-the-arm for the sovreignist (sp?) movement in *years* and if you don't think the BQ and PQ will play that up in the months ahead, think again.

For the record: I was happy to see the Libs (including Trudeau's son) holding and taking a handful of seats from the BQ in Quebec. Ask yourself if someone like PET would *ever* think that more BQ seats equals a better Canada.