Monday, October 20, 2008

L4L on the Leadership

Last time there was a Liberal leadership race which was what, 4 minutes ago? I jumped first on Frank McKenna, and then when he didn't want to run I settled on Scott Brison.

This time I'm going to sit back and wait and see who offers and then read up on each contestant, what they stand for, what their policy positions are, whether they're fluent in both English and French, and then make a decision.

Of course with my massive appeal of like 4 readers (Hey Goldie!) once I make my decision the race will be all over, as for Brison, well the reason he didn't win after I endorsed him was obviously a clerical error. :)

There was a Liberal Blogger, I can't remember who it was, CalgaryGrit? Bowie? I'm not sure, but whoever it was they suggested instead of having one big convention that we have a bunch of smaller conventions networked together, and then have the one main convention in Vancouver where all the candidates are. I'd love that idea, it'd never happen but it would be a great idea because #1 then I could attend, and #2 it would spread the Liberal message out across the country. You know how in the states the parties pick a state where they need help to hold their convention (or in the Republican's case they hold it in New York so they can milk 9/11 for all it's worth) Well we should do that here, only on a larger scale. Hold a bunch of different mini conventions in places where we're weak like the Western Provinces, Quebec City, etc.

4 comments:

Frank4PM said...

Don't give up on Frank. Instead, try to help us convince him to run. Frank for PM! or check out his Facebook Group.

Goldenhawk said...

There are some aspects of the U.S. primary system I like. Let everyone register as a Liberal, NDP, Green, etc. through Elections Canada and have closed primaries. It eliminates the need of trying to join the party through a riding association which may be either controlled by a small elite or virtually non-functioning. At the same time, it also prevents large numbers of people being signed up just for nomination meetings.

Also, we should be doing what the U.S. netroots does and have fund raising efforts for specific candidates. I doubt Toronto Centre needs any more money, but maybe we could be directing money to marginal ridings in B.C. or Manitoba.

Hishighness said...

Goldie, join me on the board to talk about this more.

Hishighness said...

I'm not givin up on Frank, I just want to get informed about my choices first.