Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Harper Conservatives: Tough on Crime

I think all of us can agree that Stephen Harper and his Conservative party are tough on criminals. Why just the other day I got a pamphlet in my mailbox telling me so. It showed a picture of a gentleman sitting on his couch with open liquor in proximity pointing the channel changer at us. The pamphlet had the word "Jail?" written in the middle of the image.

On the reverse side it went in to some detail telling me how the Conservative party was tough on criminals and how they were going to eliminate house arrest for certain offenders, which of course wouldn't bother me considering they're also planning on cutting taxes to the bone so hey we'll be able to pay for all those extra jail cells without going in to deficit right?

So there I was, walking down my hallway on my way out the door for work when what do I see on one of my neighbor's newspapers? "Tories ditch Halifax candidate."

Why would they ditch the Halifax candidate you ask? Well it turns out she has a criminal record of course!

Now, I don't personally care whether this person has a criminal record or not. If she's paid her debt and she's not a threat to re-offend then I say who cares? But it just goes to what I call the Culture of Hypocrisy in the modern Conservative movement where they preach one thing and practice another. Now in the end they did end her candidacy after two days, but the party who likes to profess itself as the most competent to lead the country has now made two big mistakes in succesive days in the campaign (this and poopgate) one would think they're the most prepared for having known for sure when they would call it before everyone else.

No comments: