Thursday, January 12, 2006

Oh What a Night!

As I mentioned before, there was a get together at Mike Savage’s campaign headquarters and Scott Brison was there, Brison is my favorite Cabinet Minister. However, I had no idea 2 of my other favorite Liberals would be there as well.

Dr. Jim Smith, long time MLA for my riding until he retired in 2003 was there. He’s a great man, his campaign was the first I ever worked on and I was constantly in awe of him. He thanked me for all I did for him back then and I thanked him for all he did for the Province, but always the modest one he replied “Oh I didn’t do that much.”

And another of my favorite Liberals, former Provincial Leader Danny Graham was there, I admired Graham in the 2003 campaign, but I admired him even more when he left the leadership to care for and be with his ailing wife who had been diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer. I got to shake his hand.

And finally, I not only got to meet Scott Brison, I also got to talk politics with him a bit, which thrilled the heck out of me. I figured it would just be like when I met Prime Minister Chrétien just a handshake and a hello but nope, we talked about the Conservative ads and how for the most part they are lying in their ads and we’re telling the truth. Of course there is nothing new about that. I also heard him use the word “malfeasance” which I guess must be his favorite word because I’ve heard him use it in Question Period so many times. :D

But the highlight of the night were the speeches given by the guests of honor (Mike Savage, Brison, Graham, and Smith) especially Brison’s. He made me realize that no matter what happens on January 23rd there is something the Conservatives can’t take away from me. I am a Liberal, and I will always be a Liberal; and no matter how much they destroy Canada we will always be there to rebuild it. It was also pointed out that things are looking good for Savage in my riding, so I’m cautiously optimistic that even if we do get a Conservative government I’ll at least be in one of the smart ridings in the country, and a riding that will stand up for what is right.

 

No comments: