Thursday, January 12, 2006

Letter From a Mom

I received this letter in my email the other day:

“I told my daughter soon as the credit for 25 dollars a week came out we were goners, all the younger families and also low income with grandchildren would vote for this. That is a lot of money to a poor person with say three or four kids. What they don’t know is that it is taxable and therefore it will affect their child tax credit as that is based on taxable income. Harper says it would not affect that credit but how can it not? Thanks for listening, Just my thoughts. –GreatGranny.

I love it when regular voters, who don’t pay attention to politics as much as I do, email me their thoughts. It really gives me insight in to an aspect of our electoral system I otherwise wouldn’t have.

GreatGranny you are quite right, and your realization was even noted in a Liberal campaign ad. So you can rest assured that this issue is being communicated, as it should be, to the Canadian people. Hopefully enough of them will realize this and switch their vote back to the Liberals, who will put forth a policy of fiscally prudent tax cuts that may hurt us a little now, but will ensure that one day we will live in a country that is debt free. And that our children won’t have to bear the burden of our legacy.

I’ve always said I don’t mind paying taxes as long as they go towards programs and services that help myself and my fellow Canadians. Conservatives only seem to care about themselves in this regard, their feelings seem to be “If a program isn’t going to help me directly I don’t want to pay for it.” That is one of their main problems, they have a lack of vision. They don’t see that helping everyone in turn helps them. For example if we make a child care space affordable for a mother who otherwise would be forced to live on welfare because she has no one to look after her baby that mother will get a job and pay taxes. She will pay back over time the service she used, and her tax dollars will also go towards programs that do help others.

No comments: