Friday, November 25, 2005

The whole story on Brison’s verbal scuffle

When the news broke about my Favorite Cabinet Minister Scott Brison’s verbal sparring match with fellow Liberal Sandra McGrath Conservative supporters, as usual, posted it as an attack on him without getting the full story. I of course I am not surprised, they’ve been lying about the Sponsorship issue ever since it first arose. But now my hometown newspaper, a painfully Conservative minded rag, has written an editorial that tells us the whole story.
Ms. McGrath alleges that Mr. Brison made an off-color remark to her after she complained she’d not been granted a third term in her patronage post. She says she raised the matter with the minister after he came to her table to say hello. He left the table, but returned to say it was Fisheries Minister Geoff Regan’s fault, not his. After she said she didn’t buy his version, Mr. Brison left the table but returned a third time. Ms. McGrath told him she won’t be working for him in the next election, expected to be triggered next week by the defeat of the minority government. "He got very agitated, got mad and he looked at me and he said, ‘I’ve got something to tell you. I’ll be the MP for a very, very long time, and you can kiss my ass.’"

Now, of course Conservatives will use this as more ammunition on the “Culture of Entitlement” front, and let them. As I’ve said before I feel Canadians are sick of the Sponsorship issue being front and center, and want to talk about real issues. However it seems to me Minister Brison, an MP who equals only Prime Minister Martin and Deputy Prime Minister Anne McClelland on the Conservatives Liberal hate-o-meter, was standing up against the very culture they are harping on. Not that we’ll receive any credit for it from them, smear campaigns have a nasty habit of ignoring the facts.

No comments: