Sunday, November 13, 2005

December 20th doesn't work.

I, along with others have seen the CTV report that says the opposition may be in collusion to bring down the government on Tuesday. Many have speculated that would lead to a December 20th election day.

There is one small problem with that, that I didn't realize until I was reminded of it on a board I frequent:

December 20th is a Tuesday.

As far as I know Federal elections in Canada have to be called on Mondays, also they have to last at least 36 days. 36 days from Tuesday, even if you include Tuesday itself, is December 20th. So the election would have to fall on the following Monday. But the following Monday is December 26th, Boxing Day, a statutory holiday. Now I have no idea what they do in this case, but I can see three possibilities.

1: They hold it on the 26th,
2: They hold it on the 27th, (Unlikely or else they'd just do it on the 20th)
3: They wait until January 2nd.

Any of these three scenarios would interfere with Christmas, which with the opposition forcing the election, would be just fine with me.

In any event one thing is certain: Picking December 15th as the first opposition day was another brilliant Parliamentary move by the Liberals.

No comments: