Sunday, June 12, 2005

Time to wade into the health care ruling debate.

Well, it's been a few days, I figured I would allow everyone to soak in the Quebec Health Care Ruling before I dropped in my two cents. Beat the Christmas rush as it were.

I'd like to especially emphasize that this is NOT what I think Paul Martin is going to do, and this opinion has nothing to do with the Liberal Party, it is MY OWN personal opinion. What I think should be done is as follows:

There is already two-tier healthcare in this country, it’s unfortunately inevitable in a country that was ran into the fiscal ground by the Progressive Conservative governments of Brian Mulroney that cuts were going to have to be made to everything including health care. I think the best way to handle it is if rich people want to get special private care they should be allowed to, but there should be a %100 tax on any procedure they have done that goes directly into the health care system, that way one spot on the waiting list is effectively knocked off for every private medical procedure done in Canada. This would either help out our system by reducing waiting lists or get rid of Private Health Care all together because no one wants to pay double when they can fly somewhere else and get it cheaper. This solution would also effectively get around the court ruling as the government wouldn’t be banning these operations they would simply be taxing them, something that is already done on every private service in Canada anyway.

If this proposal were adopted there should also be strict restrictions placed on this new system so that hospitals get first priority when it comes to equipment, doctors, nurses, etc. These facilities should also be made available to handle overload in cases of a disaster.

1 comment:

Oxford County Liberals said...

Hey Lib4Life;

Very interesting post... I agree with you to some extent and have posted my own thoughts on the natter at Progressive Bloggers here:

PS - I havent had a chance to welcome you as an affiliate of Progressive Bloggers.. so welcome aboard!