Wednesday, June 01, 2005

I've heard of push polls, but this is ridiculous!

Robbins SCE released a poll on Monday which shows the following:

Conservatives: 34%
Liberals: 26%
NDP 20%
BQ 15%
Green 6%

At first I was taken aback, especially when you consider the last two national polls done in Canada showed the Liberals at 38 and 36 followed by the Conservatives at 27 both times. This would amount to a 17 point swing in the span of two days! With numbers like those the Conservatives would be well over 100% within a week, and the Liberals well below 0%

Now naturally this bothered me, and I decided to look in to Robbins SCE, to see what kind of company they were. So I went to their website, and I had my answer. They're an anti-liberal pollster. The only two polls I can see on nodice.ca have them bucking the trend both times. And thier website looks very professional. The title reads: "We are Public Opinion." I guess what that means is they don't bother to do all that messy polling and just make up their own numbers to fit their political agenda. But I'll let you, my dear reader, be the judge: here are some of the lovely headlines they had on their main page:

"BC Liberals forced to cheat to win with so-called scientific polling during BC Election."
"Is Belinda Stronach Canada's 21st century Cleopatra?"
"Federal Conservatives increase position in Quebec, Liberals fading!"
"BC NDP Leader Carole James KO's Campbell 'cold' in all station TV debate."
"ROBBINS calls BC Election close-Ipsos Reid claims BC Liberals have big lead."


...and my personal favorite...

"Is George W. Bush the Buddy Holly of U.S. Presidential history?"

Well, I stand corrected. With hard hitting journalism like that they should give Woodward and Bernstein a run for their money....

No comments: